So you’ve decided to take the plunge! Now the real fun starts….the wedding planning! One of the first things a Minnesota Bride does is look at dresses and wedding Venues. In Minneapolis, some of the wedding venues are offering FULL wedding packages, food, space, decor, and DJ. Wait. What? The DJ? “The all in one stop shop”!
Not so fast! We’ll go over the details why this is good and bad for your Minneapolis wedding.
– Why does the venue do it? After 20+ years in the Minneapolis wedding business, we have been asked before to be a part of the venue contracts. But there are rules and limitations. Kind of like a “Pay to play”. The venue is getting some sort of kick-back financially. They charge you $1000, the DJ is only getting $500 – $700. If you could have called the DJ directly, or another professional company, you could get that discount or get a better DJ worth the $1000!
– The Pros of having your Minneapolis wedding venue provide your wedding DJ. It’s simple. Sign on the dotted line and done! The “what-if”? What if the venue “knows” the DJ the best. This is possible! But, since when is there a one size fits all personality for either the Bride, Groom, or family? If your group is 18 to 30 do you want the 55-year-old DJ at your wedding? If you are an older couple do you want the 18-year-old party DJ at your wedding? We think you’ll find that the Cons outweigh the Pros on this one.
– The Cons of having your Minneapolis wedding venue pick and contract your DJ.
1. You don’t get a CHOICE! His/Her personality isn’t fitting for everyone and skill level may not be what your wedding requires. His/her talents may not be up to the experience level you’re expecting.
2. Your contract is with the Venue and not the DJ. This is ultimately bad. You need a DJ contract. The venue will not have your best music interests in mind. They care about booking their beautiful venue. Music is the last thing on their mind. The DJ’s contract lets you know how you will be represented by that DJ. If something goes wrong, you call to complain to the venue, but the venue states that the DJ is subcontracted and their not responsible so you have to call the DJ. You make that call, he never answers, numbers disconnected, or if you actually get to talk to him/her, he blames it on the venue. See why subcontracted DJs are not the best option by clicking here!
3. Planning your wedding is limited. The venue isn’t a DJ Company. They don’t fully know or understand the Music and event planning portion of the evening. Most often your “planning” person at the venue isn;t hired because of their passion for wedding planning little own music portion. An experienced Wedding DJ company knows ALL the ins and outs of planning your music portion. They have appropriate music planners, systems, equipment, and personnel to deal with the most important part of your night!
4. You can’t cancel! What if you don’t like your DJ? What if he/she doesn’t call you back? What if they don’t possess the skills the venue claimed they had? Usually, the venue is contracting DJ, you’re contracting with the venue. You cancel the DJ, you’ve now just canceled your venue! Or at best, there are penalties.
5. They are not carrying the proper insurance. Most venues NOW require the DJ companies to carry the proper insurance. Read here why this is soooo important.
6. This will actually cost you MORE! The venue says you get a “Discount” for your wedding DJ. Not true. The Venue usually gets a cut and the DJ gets the rest. If they are charging way less, it’s because that’s the “worth” of their skills. If that DJ is going for volume of weddings, you will not get the individualistic attention to detail your wedding needs. So this option may cost you in more ways that one!
In the end, someone else making the choices for you on your one and only big wedding day isn’t ideal for most Brides and Grooms. Yes searching for a professional wedding DJ in Minneapolis is not an easy task. But in the end, when you have awesome memories, guests that are very happy, and you got every penny worth for your time and efforts you put in, it’s all worth it.
* If you plan to comment, please enter the Captcha below and scroll down to the bottom of the page and comment!